Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Drug dealers in Lab Coats

        Last summer I had chronic pain in my lower back, I can’t even drive my car, sometimes I talk with myself ‘’how the hell I’m young and I have this pain’’ I was very disappointed and angry. I decided to visit my doctor who reassured me and gave me two medications for pain relief, I took them at the first day, the pain was gone and I felt good. On the second day I did a little research on google, I found one of prescriptions is drug that has addiction risk, I immediately stopped it and my point of view for doctors totally changed since that day.

         All these talks started when Washington Post  did 60 minutes report about Pennsylvania opioid crisis, Drug overdose killed more than 64,000 American last year; that means 175 every day, seven every hour. It’s the worst drug crisis in the US history, it's killed more than the number of Americans who died in the war, in car accidents, gunshots. This tragic issue needs effective action from the federal government, this is what happened last couple weeks when President Trump declared the opioid epidemic a national public health emergency, I hope he’ll do what he said.

          Kristof, in his article, took a deep look to this problem, he’s tried to show us where the problem came from, because most of us think opioid addiction starts on the street corner, Absolutely that’s not true. 75% of American with opioid addiction began with prescriptions painkiller -  that is exactly what was going to happen to me, the issue is those greedy companies who only care to increase their profit with heartless strategy ‘’ get somebody hooked and business will take care of itself’’.

          In the 1960s about 80 percent of Americans were hooked on heroin and now painkiller opioids, and next decades will be new drug absolutely, why? Because pharmaceutical lobbyists are always trying to obstruct drug enforcement administration to sell their dirty products. Opioids addiction is silent killer but what about other harmful effects, people have lost their children because they’re drug addicts and the government has come in and taken all of them, thousands of children will grow up without their parents and then they’ll be drug and alcohol addicts too. This issue has long term consequences and will cost us thousands of lives and orphans every year.

Here the map showing us drug deaths from 1999 to 2014, we’ll see the number increasing year after year.


        Kristof has many purposes, the important one is warning us to use extra caution with medical prescriptions, and other purpose show us the truth of those corrupt people. If your doctor who gave prescriptions for painkiller spent 5 minutes in the internet to see side effects, maybe this 5 minutes can save your life, if you see someone using painkiller relief tell him about this article and the danger of those prescriptions, maybe you or I can save someone life.

1 comment:

climate change (New York time article)

DESPITE THE RECENT OCCURRENCES OF NATURAL DISASTER, WE STILL KEEP DENYING CLIMATE CHANGE. HOW CAN WE AS CITIZEN OF PLANET EARTH PREVE...